on vacay temporarily...

"Innovation is an evolutionary process, so it's not necessary to be radical all the time."
Marc Jacobs

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The fabulousness of platforms and knee high socks

As I have written in my first post, my current era obsession is the 70's thanks to the indie rockopic "The Runaways".  Kristen Stewart plays a clone of Joan Jett while Dakota Fanning depicts the hot mess known as Cherie Currie.  As a film the story did not blow my mind, it was jumpy and incomplete as far as story telling goes but costume and cinematography design scored an A++ in my book!!!
Stuck in my head is an amazing shot of Kristen (Joan Jett) in a bathtub, everything is white; the walls, the floor, the water, the tub, her porcelain skin.  All you see of her is her jet black hair, black smudged eye makeup and her holding a cigarette.  Its breath taking, enough to make me develop a girl crush and have my boyfriend asking me to dye my platinum locks jet black.  As much as I could go on about the beauty of this film, this is not the reason for this post.


These are...



I've never been a platform kind of girl, being on the taller side a regular heel was enough for me but I'm starting to have a change of heart!  Even though Cherie Currie may have been a drug addict at 15, she sure knew how to wear some platforms and socks. This trend is a current love of mine because even the amazing Marc Jacobs used a sock & heel combo in his F/W'10 RTW show. (Editors note: Burberry Prorsum S/S'10 RTW also did this which is where I originally fell in love w/ socks and platforms)

Marc Jacobs F/W10

 
Burberry Prorsum S/S10




 I use to think I was born in the wrong era or I lived a life before this one but in the 50's because of my love for 50's fashion.  Now I'm thinking I should have grown up in the 70's like my mom and dad did.  How could they have forgotten to tell me about all the awesome things I missed out on?!?! Maxi dresses, mini skirts, sheer blouses, PLATFORMS, halter tops, plaid, flowers, gold chains, jumpsuits, California surfer everything!!!  And lets not forget the amazing music that came out of the 70's!!!  Too many to even begin listing, but it is safe to say that for the next few weeks I will be on a 70's time warp, what about you all?
Look into your wardrobes and see what you have that can replicate the feminist rocker looks, how can you make it your own?  Will you all be dabbling in the experiment of shoes with knee high socks or am I alone on this one?  

THE RUNAWAYS

Dakota Fanning/Riley Keough


Dakota Fanning/Kristen Stewart


No comments:

Post a Comment