on vacay temporarily...

"Innovation is an evolutionary process, so it's not necessary to be radical all the time."
Marc Jacobs

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

25 going on 5


Not only do I think I, myself tend to have a very childlike style when dressing, but many people have referred to my look as a little toddler-ish.  I can't help it!  I love whimsical childlike touches here and there.  Most of my fashion muses come from children book characters, such as, Eloise, Alice, Madeline and Little Red Riding Hood.  Hence my love of Marc by Marc Jacobs who always has a whimsical childish side to his sister brand.  He is not the only designer that includes memories of innocence but he is the designer that I notice it in every single collection no matter the season.



As I browsed through the old library of MBMJ collections I noticed the key to what made each look represent that innocent period in a little girls life that I am so keen to hold onto today. There are 4 key elements that I tend to include in every outfit I dress myself in.  #1, Bows; this can be a hair accessory or a print on your top but when a bow is involved a little girl is the influence.  #2, Rompers; yes, these are currently a popular trend amongst the 20 something crowd but a romper is a reminder of that time when we were crawling around on the ground.  #3, Vintage Slips, i think the silhouette has more to do with this childish look then an actual slip.  But when you pair an over sized sheer slip with details of lace there is something very doll like about it.  #4, Tights/Socks, hosiery always adds a touch of innocence, the image of cuffed white socks with lace trim and mary-janes pop into most people's heads when thinking about socks with shoes.

1. Urban Outfitters-$34  2. Shopbop.com-$160  3. Shopbop.com-$38  4. Shopbop.com-$48  5. Urban Outfitters-$20  6. Shopbop.com$-55  7. Shopbop.com-$170

1. Shopbop.com-$187  2. Urban Outfitters-$58  3. Shopbop.com-$415  4. Shopbop.com-$198  5. Urban Outfitters-$58  6. Shopbop.com-$218  7. Urban Outfitters-$48  8. Shopbop.com-$188

1. Urban Outfitters-$68  2. Urban Outfitters-$58  3. Urban Outfitters-$68  4. Urban Outfitters-$58  5. Urban Outfitters-$68  6. Urban Outfitters-$68  7. Urban Outfitters-$68


I usually have 1 of these 4 elements in every outfit I put on.  I like to look to youth for inspiration, I think it keeps people young when they stay involved with the younger generation.  There are of course lines that should not be crossed when an adult is adapting younger trends into their wardrobe.  So try to keep it simple and add only 1 element at a time or you will start looking like you walked right out of the pages of a story book.

No comments:

Post a Comment